How to Register Your Business in Washington State

Is your company hiring an employee in Washington, but based in another state? Learn how to register your business in just a few simple steps.

Mt St Helens in clouds, Washington, USA

Plane Team

Published on June 11, 2021

From Mount Baker to Mount Rainier, Washington State is known for its majestic peaks. Visitors and residents flock to the pristine wilderness and coastlines of the Evergreen State, to backpack, mountaineer, ski, sail, and kayak. The Seattle metropolitan area has boomed in recent years, as people from all over the country have flooded into work for high-powered start-ups and companies like Microsoft, Boeing, and Amazon. The result is a flourishing city with a vibrant economy. Chances are, if your next employee is a Washingtonian, they won’t want to leave. Fortunately, in this era of remote work, it’s easy to collaborate across state lines.Bringing on a new employee can be exciting, but there’s often a lot to do as well. You want to onboard your new hire as quickly and smoothly as possible to ensure their success at your organization. But before you get started with onboarding, you’ll need to register your company with the state of Washington.  

Sign up for our newsletter

Stay up-to-date on Pilot's latest features and learn industry news on international hiring and remote work.

Register your business in Washington in two easy steps:

  1. If your business is a corporation, partnership, or LLC you must first register with the Washington Secretary of State by creating an account with the Washington Corporation and Charities Filing System.
  2. Once you’ve registered with the Secretary of State (if required), you can license and register your business through Washington State’s Business Licensing Wizard.
You’ll receive a packet of information in the mail, 10 days after registering, from both the Washington Department of Revenue and the Washington Employment Security Department. This packet will include your Unified Business Identification (UBI) and your Employment Security Account Number.Once you’ve received your UBI and Employment Security Account Number, you’ll be able to register new employees, file wage reports, and submit unemployment taxes online. Unlike other states, Washington does not have a minimum threshold of wages paid before you become liable for unemployment taxes.If you need additional support, the Washington Secretary of State Corporation and Charities Division has a tutorial video for registering your business. The Department of Revenue also has a useful business licensing FAQ section.Interested in streamlining your state registration process? With Pilot, you can complete state registrations online, from one platform, in all 50 US states, plus Washington, D.C. Eliminate hours of manual effort from the process by using Pilot. Learn more about our state registrations feature.

Legal Disclaimer:

The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Would you like to expand your team outside of the US as well? Pilot manages international payroll, benefits, and compliance for US-based companies, in our secure, cloud-based platform. Our team of HR and payroll experts is happy to guide you through any questions ✨To learn more about Pilot, request a demo with one of our experts.

Going global isn't daunting when you partner with Pilot. 🤝

Book a FREE, no-obligation demo with one of our experts now.

Schedule a demo

Related articles

From startups to large corporations, US companies of all sizes use Pilot for international payroll, benefits and compliance.

Want industry news and product updates?Sign up for our newsletter.