How to Register Your Business in North Dakota

Is your company hiring an employee in North Dakota, but based in another state? Learn how to register your business in just a few simple steps.

Trail in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota, USA

Plane Team

Published on May 27, 2021

There aren’t many people in North Dakota, relatively speaking. In fact, it’s one of the least populous states in the country, and 90% of the land is given over to farming. But those who do live in The Peace Garden State enjoy spectacular vistas of grasslands, badlands, and wheat fields. Not only that, but residents enjoy the state’s low taxes, friendly culture, and clear starry nights. So, chances are, if your next employee is a North Dakotan, they won’t want to leave. Fortunately, in this era of remote work, collaborating across state lines is easy.Bringing on a new employee can be exciting, but there’s often a lot to do as well. You want to onboard your new hire as quickly and smoothly as possible to ensure their success at your organization. But before you get started with onboarding, you’ll need to register your company with the state of North Dakota.  

Sign up for our newsletter

Stay up-to-date on Pilot's latest features and learn industry news on international hiring and remote work.

Register your business in North Dakota in two easy steps:

  1. First, you’ll need to register with the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner via the Taxpayer Access Point.  After you’ve signed up, you will be mailed an authorization code which is required the first time you log on.
  2. Next, you’ll need to create an account with UI EASY, Job Service North Dakota’s unemployment insurance employer account system.
You should receive your Withholding Account Number within one week of registering. You’ll receive your Employer Account Number within three weeks of registering online. Once you’ve received your account number, you’ll be able to register new employees, file wage reports, and submit unemployment taxes online. Remember, in general, you are responsible for paying an unemployment tax once you’ve paid $1500 in wages in a single calendar quarter, or employed someone for a portion of a day in 20 different weeks in a calendar year.If you need additional support, Taxpayer Access Point has a useful FAQ section.Interested in streamlining your state registration process? With Pilot, you can complete state registrations online, from one platform, in all 50 US states, plus Washington, D.C. Eliminate hours of manual effort from the process by using Pilot. Learn more about our state registrations feature.

Legal Disclaimer:

The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Would you like to expand your team outside of the US as well? Pilot manages international payroll, benefits, and compliance for US-based companies, in our secure, cloud-based platform. Our team of HR and payroll experts is happy to guide you through any questions ✨To learn more about Pilot, request a demo with one of our experts.

Going global isn't daunting when you partner with Pilot. 🤝

Book a FREE, no-obligation demo with one of our experts now.

Schedule a demo

Related articles

From startups to large corporations, US companies of all sizes use Pilot for international payroll, benefits and compliance.

Want industry news and product updates?Sign up for our newsletter.